Calories Burned in Infrared Sauna: The Surprising Truth
Infrared saunas have become an unexpected favorite in the wellness world. Sitting in warmth, feeling the gentle embrace of infrared light, and knowing that calories are being burned in the process – it's a concept that's both comforting and intriguing. People are noticing the changes, and scientists are digging deeper.
In a study published by Binghamton University, using an infrared sauna three times a week for 30 minutes per session dropped an average of 4 percent body fat over four months.
Before we give you more information, here's a quick look at what an infrared sauna is and how it differs from traditional saunas:
- Traditional Saunas:
- Wet sauna - utilizes hot rocks or steam to create heat, causing you to sweat.
- Temperature: 70 to 80 degrees
- Takes between 30 and 40 minutes to heat up
- Infrared Saunas:
- Dry sauna - uses infrared light that penetrates the skin more deeply.
- Temperature: 46 to 57 degrees
- Takes between 10 and 15 minutes to heat up
The Intricacies of Water Weight and Infrared Heat
How a 30-Minute Session Can Activate Your Basal Metabolic Rate
In discussing weight loss goals, the terms 'water weight' and 'fat loss' often arise. For the average person, understanding the difference can be a game-changer. Water weight usually refers to the temporary increase in body weight that comes with fluid retention.
On the other hand, fat loss, especially as seen with infrared saunas, is a more consistent and permanent reduction in body weight. When you sit in an infrared sauna for a 30-minute session, you're not just sweating out water weight.
The heat penetrates your skin, elevating your basal metabolic rate. This makes your body work harder, burning calories, and leading to genuine fat loss. It's an effective and enjoyable strategy for those aiming for weight
Exploring the Numerous Benefits of Saunas in Recent Years
A Great Way to Boost Your Cardiovascular System
Saunas have been recognized as a great way to boost your cardiovascular system. Here are several types of saunas that have gained popularity in recent years:
- Traditional Wet Saunas: These saunas use heat and steam to increase heart rate and blood pressure, stimulating the cardiovascular system. However, the amount of time spent in these saunas should be monitored due to the potential risk of heat exhaustion.
- Infrared Saunas: These saunas use infrared light to penetrate the skin and elevate the basal metabolic rate. They provide an efficient amount of heat in a shorter amount of time compared to traditional saunas.
- Steam Rooms: Although not technically saunas, steam rooms are also a good option for those looking to reap similar benefits. The moisture-filled environment can be beneficial for those with respiratory issues.
In terms of weight management, studies have shown that regular sauna sessions can help prevent weight gain and even promote weight loss. While the amount of weight you can lose would vary depending on numerous factors, including your overall diet and exercise regimen, it's clear that integrating sauna sessions into your wellness routine can offer numerous benefits.
The Science Behind Infrared Saunas
What's the real science behind this sensation? Let's peel back the layers and explore.
How Infrared Saunas Work
Infrared saunas harness the power of infrared rays to deeply penetrate and gently heat the body from within rather than merely warming the air. This provides a soothing, efficient warmth different from the traditional saunas you might be familiar with.
Calories Burned in Infrared Sauna
When these rays delve beneath the skin, they do more than make you feel cozy. They trigger a circulation response similar to mild exercise, helping your body function at a higher metabolic rate. Frank Lipman, M.D. says, "Infrared saunas have the ability to penetrate the skin more deeply, increase metabolic rate which can help the body burn off anywhere from 200 to 600 calories in a half-hour session."
He said that the transformation is not immediate, as you "won’t drop 20 overnight, but infrared will provide a light metabolic boost, helping you burn off a few extra calories." It's a practical addition to a healthy lifestyle.
The reaction in the body that boosts circulation and leads to increased metabolic rate isn't a myth; it's a gentle, calculated response that aids in burning calories.
Infrared Sauna for Your Home
Bringing the luxury of the spa to your doorstep, our collection of infrared saunas offers the perfect escape without leaving home. These oases of warmth are designed to become an essential part of your daily routine, offering relaxation and a range of health benefits. Here are our top picks:
- Spacious Design: Comfortably fits four persons, allowing a shared sauna experience.
- 10 Carbon-Nano Infrared Heaters: Ensures efficient and even heating throughout the sauna.
- Premium Canadian Hemlock Wood Construction: Delivers durability and an elegant look.
- Dual LED Control Panels: Provides intuitive control for temperature and time settings.
- Built-in Bluetooth Speaker: Makes your sauna sessions more enjoyable with your favorite tunes.
Why You'll Love It:
- Social Experience: The spacious interior allows for a communal sauna session with friends or family, turning wellness into a bonding experience.
- Personalized Control: The easy-touch LED control panel puts you in the driver's seat of your sauna experience, allowing you to adjust settings according to your comfort.
- A Touch of Luxury: With its elegant wood construction and built-in audio system, this sauna luxuries your home, enhancing your living space with warmth and style.
- Outdoor Compatibility: Designed for outdoor use to complement your garden or patio space.
- Canadian Hemlock Wood: A beautiful rustic wood that’s naturally sturdy.
- Five Ceramic Infrared Heaters: Offers powerful heating for a satisfying outdoor sauna experience.
- Ozone Sterilization System: Ensures your sauna is always hygienic.
- Integrated Sound System: Enjoy your favorite music while you relax.
Why You'll Love It:
- A Garden Retreat: A perfect addition to your outdoor space, offering a private oasis to unwind.
- Quality Craftsmanship: Built with beautiful Canadian Hemlock Wood, it adds warmth to your surroundings.
- Convenience at Your Fingertips: Your comfort and entertainment is assured with an integrated sound system and simple controls.
- Corner Design: Maximizes space utilization in your home.
- Ten Carbon-Nano Infrared Heaters: Ensures comprehensive and efficient heating.
- Premium Red Cedar Wood: Offers a sleek and durable structure.
- Exterior and Mood Lighting: Elevates the ambiance of your sauna sessions.
- Ergonomic Backrests: Enhances comfort for a truly relaxing experience.
Why You'll Love It:
- Space-Saving Luxury: Its corner design fits effortlessly into your home, providing a cozy retreat without consuming excess space.
- Personalized Ambiance: With color therapy lighting, you can create a mood that resonates with your wellness goals.
- Comfort Defined: Designed to provide the ultimate comfort, allowing you to indulge in relaxation fully.
The Impact of Regular Sauna Use on Health and Exercise
According to a study by Binghamton University, regular sauna use, especially sessions lasting a full hour, can have significant health benefits. Here are key findings from the research:
- Session Duration: The research, led by Michelle Williams, indicates that a full hour of infrared sauna use can burn as many calories as some forms of exercise.
- Forms of Exercise: Specifically, the study found that using a sauna could be compared to a moderate workout, such as jogging or cycling, in terms of calorie burn.
- Following Formula: The formula to calculate the number of calories burned in a sauna is dependent on your weight. On average, a person can burn 2.5 to 3.5 extra pounds over the course of a year with regular sauna use.
- Extra Pounds: Regular sauna use can therefore be a helpful tool for weight loss, along with a balanced diet and regular exercise.
- Stress Relief: Additionally, the higher temperatures experienced in a sauna session provide stress relief by triggering the body to release endorphins, the body's natural painkillers and mood elevators.
- Infrared Radiation: Infrared saunas, in particular, are beneficial as they use infrared radiation to directly heat the body, leading to a higher sweat output and greater calorie burn.
According to a report published by Harvard Medical School, a 30-minute session in an infrared sauna could burn approximately 600 calories [^1^]. This significant calorie burn is due to the body's need to cool itself, which increases heart rate, cardiac output, and metabolic rate.
This study aligns with Williams's research, further supporting the potential of sauna use as a supplementary tool for weight management. It's important to understand that individual results can vary, and these findings may not apply to everyone.
[^1^]: Harvard Health Publishing
- Outdoor Design: Tailored to enhance your outdoor space.
- Eight Carbon-Nano Infrared Heaters: Delivers an evenly heated, luxurious sauna experience.
- Canadian Hemlock Wood Construction: Provides longevity and an attractive appearance.
- Oxygen Ionization System: Ensures a fresh and clean environment inside the sauna.
- Weather Covering: Offers protection from elements.
Why You'll Love It:
- Outdoor Elegance: This sauna becomes a striking feature in your outdoor space with its quality construction.
- Health and Comfort: Beyond relaxation, the oxygen ionization system ensures a healthy sauna interior.
- Effortless Operation: From adjusting the temperature to selecting your favorite music, the intuitive control system makes every sauna session perfectly tailored to your preferences, allowing you to focus on relaxation.
Benefits of Using Infrared Saunas for Weight Loss and Overall Health
Infrared saunas have become an essential part of many wellness routines. While burning calories might be the headline act, the benefits run deeper, enveloping the mind and body in a gentle embrace of well-being.
Beyond the Scale: Additional Health Benefits
Infrared saunas offer a cornucopia of health benefits beyond just weight loss:
- Improved Circulation: The gentle warming effect of infrared light enhances blood flow, mirroring the circulatory beneficial impact of exercise. (Just a friendly reminder: a sauna session should not be viewed as a substitute for physical exercise).
- Relaxation and Stress Reduction: The calm environment, combined with the soothing warmth, encourages relaxation, reducing stress and supporting mental wellness.
- Heart Health: Regular sessions can really help with heart rate control, contributing to cardiovascular well-being.
- Muscle Recovery: Athletes and active individuals find value in infrared saunas for muscle recovery, easing soreness, and promoting healing.
- Immune System Boost: The increase in core body temperature might even aid in strengthening the immune system.
Here are other benefits of infrared sauna from POPSUGAR Fitness.
Tips and Guidelines for Using Infrared Saunas
Infrared saunas have captured the attention of wellness enthusiasts for good reasons. But it's essential to approach this incredible tool with knowledge and care. Here's a handy guide for those interested in diving into the warm embrace of infrared saunas:
- Choose the Right Type of Sauna: Various models suit different needs, so research and select the one that fits your wellness goals and comfort level. Read our thorough comparison in our blog post: Traditional vs. Infrared Saunas: Which is Best for You?.
- Frequency and Duration: Start with shorter sessions (15-20 minutes) and gradually increase to a comfortable level. 2-4 times a week can be beneficial, but personal preferences vary.
- Consult with Healthcare Professionals: If considering an infrared sauna for weight loss or health improvements, always consult with a healthcare provider.
- Incorporate Into a Balanced Routine: Here's how:
- Combine with Regular Exercise: Add sauna sessions as a relaxing post-workout treat.
- Maintain a Healthy Diet: A sauna complements a nourishing eating plan, not replace it.
- Stay Hydrated: Drink plenty of water before and after your session to replenish lost fluids.
- Mind the Contraindications: Certain health conditions may require avoiding or limiting using saunas. Seek professional advice if in doubt.
- Celebrate the Experience: Enjoy the process and see the infrared sauna as part of a joyful, holistic approach to wellness rather than solely focusing on calorie burn.
Sauna sessions whisper promises of warmth, relaxation, and an intriguing nudge in the weight loss department. But here's the comforting truth: each session is not just about calories burned in infrared saunas. It's an invitation to pause, breathe, and take a gentle step towards embracing our wellness more.
Don't forget to add a personal touch and charm to your wellness journey with our backyard sauna ideas, and see what resonates with you.
We'd love to hear about your unique experience with infrared saunas in the comments below! Or if you have questions about our infrared sauna collection, contact our customer service team today!